Congress School History
Congress School History
Posted on 07/26/2018
Congress School History

Sturgis Public Schools (SPS) would like to thank the community for your generous donations and loans of SPS historical pictures and artifacts for our historical display partnership with Sturgis Historical Museum - At The Depot. We will continue to share SPS history through a series of weekly articles as we collect items for the display, which can be dropped off at Sturgis Central Commons located at 107 W. West Street any weekday between 7:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. to Karen Stimson in the Superintendent’s office.

This week we are featuring Congress School, which opened in 1925 during Carl M. Fenner’s tenure as superintendent. It opened as a two-story concrete and brick building built for $43,489. When constructed, the school contained six classrooms for kindergarten through fifth grade. Then in 1952 seven additional rooms were added to Congress. More recently, the school was renovated through 2002 Bond dollars and was transitioned to a kindergarten through second grade building.

Congress School has had four principals since 1976 And their names and years of service are listed below:

Roy Pearson 1976-1997
Nancy Dittmar 1997-2004
Teresa Belote 2004-2014
Nick Herblet 2014-Present

-----------------------

 

Historia de la Escuela Congress

Las Escuelas Públicas de Sturgis (SPS) desean agradecer a la comunidad por sus generosas donaciones de fotografías y artefactos históricos para nuestra asociación histórica con Sturgis Historical Museum- localizado en el Depot. Continuaremos compartiendo la historia de SPS a través de una serie de artículos semanales en lo que seguimos colectando artículos para la exhibición. Los artículos pueden ser llevados a Sturgis Central Commons ubicado en 107 W. West Street cualquier día de la semana entre las 7:30 a.m. y 4:00 p.m. a Karen Stimson en la oficina del Superintendente.

Esta semana presentamos a la Escuela Congress, que se inauguró en 1925 durante el servicio del Superintendente Carl M. Fenner. Se inauguró como una escuela de 2 pisos construida por $43,489. Cuando se construyó, la escuela  tenía seis salones para los grados kínder a 5º. Luego en 1952, se agregaron 7 salones adicionales. Más recientemente, la escuela fue renovada a través de dólares de bonos del 2002 y se hizo transición a una escuela de kínder a 2º grado.

La escuela Congress ha tenido 4 directores desde 1976 y sus años de servicio están a continuación:

Roy Pearson 1976-1997

Nancy Dittmar 1997-2004

Teresa Belote 2004-2014

Nick Herblet 2014-Present